Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Fibroduck Arrived


I received my Fibroduck today. She is already dreaming of slack packing the Appalachian Trail one day. She knows that prior to fibromyalgia hiking and camping were two of my favorite activities. I hope to camp a few weekends in 2012, so I can slowly begin hiking again. She wants to go on adventures with me, but she promises to remind me to start low and take it slow (as my rheumatologist says).


Visit fibroduck.com to see photographs of this and other fibroducks. Fibroduck.com explains the fibroduck:


     People with fibromyalgia and ME/CFS were almost always hard-working and fiercely independent  people. Now that they are ill, their pain and fatigue prevents them from living the lives they had before. Tasks that used to be easy are now very difficult, and many people cannot do the things they once took pride in. They often have to rely on others, and often stress about what goes undone.
We picked a duck to represent people with fibromyalgia/ME/CFS because having these conditions makes them feel as though they are operating in an unfamiliar world – like ducks out of water. A duck on land can still get about and do things, but not as quickly and fluidly as it would in the water.
The dots on the duck represent the painful muscles and joints experienced by people with fibromyalgia.
So, the challenge is to draw attention to fibromyalgia by sending in pictures showing the duck in places a duck wouldn’t usually go, and doing things a duck wouldn’t normally do.

I appreciate the work fibroduck is doing to bring awareness to fibromyalgia. I will do my best to help raise awareness of all invisible illnesses. Will you help too?

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad to see duckie's right at home with you, look forward to following your adventures together. Thanks for linking to us, it's all helping to raise awareness worldwide. Hope today's a better day for you :) x

    ReplyDelete